Monday, February 19, 2007

Sunday in San Francisco

Sure, it was yesterday, but my sparse audience needn't hear about what I did at work today...

Stop #1: American Cyclery. Slow needed new dangly bits, and AC had the parts in stock for a 38-yr old internal hub. $6 later and I've got the metal to make Slow move. Some beautiful bikes and old stuff in there too, and the shop is clearly plugged in with the urban singlespeed/fixie trend.

Stop #2: Stumasa of San Francisco, located as if by destiny directly across the street from American Cyclery. An explanatory aside: through blogs, I've discovered to my amazement that there are people who can balance having a job, a spouse, and kids with riding a bike regularly (4/4). I'm holding down 1/4 these days. So, these people and their blogs hold a bit of extra fascination for me--Lauren, Funkdaddy (if you're out there), and probably many more I'm not reading (yet?), take a bow. All right: so through Funkdaddy's website, I was introduced to Frances England's CD of music intended for kids, and increasing numbers of my friends are having children, so I went into Stumasa to get the CD as a potential present...after vetting it myself, of course. Having listened to it in the car on the way home, I'm thinking it's a keeper. Ummm...guess I'll have to buy other copies to give to the kids...(Other thought: growing up is the biggest scam ever foisted on kids.)

Stop #3: a bagel 'n' coffee place on Haight that will remain unnamed. I wanted a quick lunch before hopping back on transit to get to Embarcadero and watch the ToC prologue. It took 50 minutes for me to get a lox bagel and eat it--most of that time spent waiting for the lox bagel. And so, I was late, only to find out that BJM had been 2nd out of the gate. Ah well.

Stop #4: finally made it to the waterfront, watching the speedsters on their high-tech TT rigs. Well, most of 'em; clearly some teams have more bike budget or kinder sponsors than others. Recognized a lot of big names going by, recognized some friends while winding up Telegraph Hill, pointed out big names to friends. One guy from the BMC squad looked so hurtin' with about 300m to go--pedals--wouldn't--turn--over--poor guy probably got the biggest cheer except for maybe Hincapie.

Beautiful day.

3 comments:

~ lauren said...

i keep meaning to check out that CD for my kids.

although, they already seem to be slipping into that yucky pop culture music.

and i loooove american cyclery.

russellp said...

Treat yourself! Go to American Cyclery. Look at the scenery. Cross the road to Stumasa. Look at the stupefyingly cute furniture and kids' stuff. Get the CD. Enjoy soothing acoustic music...

Anonymous said...

Hey - You were in S.F. and you didn't call us??!! Boy that's not right. American Cyclery is a great store. They have built every one of my new bikes and kept my classic Colnago in tip top form.