Thursday, February 22, 2007

Herbs 'n' spices

When I was wee, I had great fun raiding my mom's spice rack. Start with a bowl of water, put in some food coloring and some soap for bubbles; then, once the visuals were covered, start addin' the flavor. Cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, savory, sage, thyme, rosemary, oregano, pepper, vanilla, peppermint...all the little magic bottles. And, at the end, I'd taste it.

Without fail, it tasted like soap.

But perhaps the foundations were laid for studying chemistry later in life.



A few weeks ago, when the title of this blog was still "introverts don't say much", and I hadn't written a word, I thought a good way to get writing would simply be to describe that night's dinner. As it is, I seemed to have found other ways to wax prosaic, but in tribute to that thought:

Tonight's dinner

Appetizer
Tortilla chips by Padrino's

Main course
Pan-fried chicken with fennel and thyme
Potatoes with sage and pepper
Broccoli

Digestif
Chilean black grapes

Mmm, full belly...

3 comments:

~ lauren said...

that sounds much better then fish sticks!

soap always seems to be the dominant spice, no matter what you're making.

i used to add it to the different flower petals i'd mix together to make perfume when i was young. always smelled and tasted like soap.

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

we're comin' over.

X Bunny said...

and he can cook!