Thursday, February 8, 2007

Bikes in the movies 2

Let's flog the subject while it's up...

American Flyers (1985)

1. Kevin Costner (pre-DWW) was actually thin and scrawny, like a genuine cyclist. Don't know about him cycling with the moustache, though. He's thickened a lot.

2. Sort of like Dennis Christopher (who? the designated hero in Breaking Away), David Grant (who? designated hero in A.F.) hasn't been so high-profile after having the lead role. Sort of like Luke Skywalker guy (ummm...name escapes me...).

3. From the depths of the days of Evil Empire came The Russian Cycling Opponent. I recall the RCO having a beard the size of a large wombat. Apparently the big beard is still in fashion for some cyclists. (Hats off to QB for the link)

4. And the nose chick from Dirty Dancing shows up for a bit part.

5. Mmm, the early '80s gym scenes...though how little has changed...

6. Did those leather helmets ever save anyone from anything?

7. If I start road racing this year, do I get a version of 22-yr-old Alexandra Paul as a groupie? Maybe if I do a 3-day stage race...er, and win...OK, dream on. Still, better scenery in this movie than in Breaking Away, on several levels.

8. It's the closest most of our generation will come to knowing anything about the much-lauded and lamented Coors Classic. Well, there are tours of Georgia, California, now Missouri and Utah, but somehow Colorado hasn't got it together. Or is it subtly named something other than "Tour of Colorado"?

7 comments:

Velo Bella said...

I can't wait for the one on Quicksilver

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

that movie was soooo bad....

X Bunny said...

well i'll be a fig newton!

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

the yin, the yang, and the bang bang

~ lauren said...

"You wouldn't know a fact if it banged you all night long!"

i'm gonna go add it to my netflix list. i've never seen it.

russellp said...

I think I've got the right audience here--you're better at quoting these movies than I am. Or at least they look like quotes from the movie...

I tried googling OV's line, and the response I got was:

"Did you mean: the yin, the young, and the gang bang"

Ew, I didn't know Google was dirty. And that probably just red-flagged my Internet use at work.

X Bunny said...

we all walk a fine line with this stuff at work

vb had to disable a security protocol to even be able to read many of the blogs due to their language content