Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Where have all the blue boxes gone

I put off sending in a check to AJM's Medical Recovery Fund/Raffle until now, and the drawing is on Labor Day--so if you haven't sent in a twenty for a ticket, do so now. Darn good prizes available. Heck, I even like the bowl.

I wrote the check last night just before going to bed and wanted to mail it on the way in to work this morning--while bike commuting. The mail slot at the apartment complex into which I just moved is behind a funny gate thing, not bike-convenient, so I thought I'd just drop it in a USPS blue box on the way to work. Stuffed the envelope in my jersey pocket and away I went.

And rode, and looked for a postbox.

And rode some more.

And got to work without seeing a single blue box.

It's either (a) I'm still blind despite laser eye surgery or (b) they're all gone, be it because they're too troublesome for the post office to maintain, or they're too easy to hide bombs in during these days of fear and wonder.

So I'll drop the envelope off at work, but after riding with it in my jersey pocket for 45 minutes, I'm afraid the envelope and check may have absorbed some, uh, cycling funk. Sweat, to be sure. Do letter carriers wear protective gloves? Do the JMs?

2 comments:

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

just try to find one where we live...

i know of two: one in front of the market....and one in front of the post office...

russellp said...

I was tempted to stuff it into somebody else's mailbox at the end of their driveway and put the flag up, but decided that would creep people out. Not a good thing when your return address is on the envelope.