Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Unleashed

Over the last weekend of August, I moved into a studio apartment across the way in Los Gatos. No more sharing of house with two other people, time to have my own space to do with as I please (within the limits of being a tenant).

This is now the 10th street address I've had in California in just under 9 years, not counting two periods spent sleeping on people's couches for which I did not formally change my address. Yes, I feel like a transient, and/or like I've got some as-yet-unnamed pyschological twitch, possibly induced by living in the same house from the beginnings of consciousness until I was 18 years old.

The title of this post refers to the viciousness with which I have wielded my poor, unsuspecting credit card for the past week and a half as I try to turn this place into my home. Some shelves, ironing board, stand for the rediscovered TV, doohickey that allows me to watch DVDs on said old TV, internet connection, rug to protect new carpet from bikes. Hmm, bikes: new suspension seatpost for Slow (!--sweet ride), 'cross tires, freewheel remover and freewheel, chainring...Let's not forget filling all those empty cupboards in the kitchen, and a decent-sized stockpot...

A little swipe of the plastic and it's mine, so easy, so easy. Now I shouldn't be too concerned, as I'm not actually that extravagant, but it's a heck of a lot more spending that I've done in a long time and it would be nice for it to - just - slow - down - a - little...

...and contemplate that I may be moving again at the end of December. (11!)

6 comments:

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

ironing board?

you iron?

russellp said...

In principle, I now have an iron, an ironing board, and a place in which to use them simultaneously.

We'll see if I can keep up any commitment to being well-pressed.

X Bunny said...

i'm bringing my laundry to you

~ lauren said...

i pulled out an iron a while ago, to iron a shirt for an event.

both kids looked at it and said, "what's that thing?".

dt said...

that's it! if job prospects don't improve, you can open a laundry service in Los Gatos. i understand there's a lot of chemistry involved in top-drawer dry-cleaning.

happy to hear you have a space to call your own, russellp.

dp said...

What's an ironing board?