Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Go pick on someone your own size

After a slightly inappropriate debut in the C's back in June, I signed in to ride with the B's (cat 4/5) at the twilight training crit last night. I was slacking in July--would I make it in August?

I circulated, moved around. Sometime in lap 4-5 I was on the front. Thereafter tried to "float" to the back. Overfloated and practiced sprinting to catch onto the back again, yo-yoed for a couple laps. Recovered enough to take a little dig on the 3rd-to-last lap, got space with one other guy...and couldn't hold it. Subsequently got dropped on the last lap and did not contest the finish, but easily guessed the winner of the bunch sprint.

List of things to improve:
--cornering at speed without going waaaay wide
--maintaining speed through corners
--strength
--endurance
...y'know, little things.

--

Rode into work this morning, single-speeding a 42/17. At first I thought I was going sooo fast 'cuz I was spinning out so easily. Then realized the legs were too tired to spin. Oh...

9 comments:

~ lauren said...

wait a sec. crits?

i thought you were a cyclocrosser. what's going on here?

russellp said...

If I'm gonna race B's in 'cross, I need someone to push me out of the comfort zone a little bit.

Don't worry, they're just training crits. I think I still have my priorities straight: 'cross first.

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

road, fixed gear, dirt....

you are the well-rounded cyclist.

russellp said...

Not fixie, single-speed--I got a freewheel on there and have yet to brave flip-flopping to the fixed gear. I like having functional knees and wanna keep 'em that way.

Velo Bella said...

aaahhh..we bagged on doing it yesterday what with Michael's injuries and my vacation from racing...

sort of missed it

X Bunny said...

vb misses a couple races and she is starting to get hives...

X Bunny said...

good job, btw

your list of things to work on is my list, too, plus some

dp said...

It's all Greek to me...

X Bunny said...

you changed your background to black to save energy, didn't you?!