Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Dangnabbit


Back to bike geekdom.

I bought a single-speed 'cross bike this spring, pretty much the cheapest complete SSCC bike available, just to get a machine under me. I figured that since I've given everybody else a 20-year head start on this "training" thing that I've got to do some catchup. And, if I'm going to drive 50 miles to do a 30-40 minute race, I should do another one while I'm there. Since there are separate single-speed cross categories, one geared bike plus one single-speed equals two races equals twice as much racing/training.

I was also looking forward to racing in the B's this year so as to not have any 8.30-9am start times. I need my beauty sleep on weekends. And weekdays, for that matter.

So Pilarcitos and CCCX have now posted their start times. Pilarcitos: SS at 12pm for 1 h, B's at 1.10pm for 45 min. Am I insane enough to even try? It's just gonna hurt...so maybe it's the C's for me there again this year (it's not like I broke the top 20 in their C's last year). CCCX: B's and single-speed B's, both at 10am for 45 min; single-speed A's at 1pm for 1 h. Well, B's + SSA's is sorta doable...just gotta stay outta the way of the big boys.

---

I need a job, else I get deported in January.

Anybody need a cyclochemist? Er, chemocrosser?

---

Outside water faucet has broken a gasket and is leaking all over. This house is losing any faint semblance of charm quickly.

7 comments:

dp said...

Old house? New house?

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

new houses are rarely described as 'charming'.

how about some seasonal winter work in the sierras? can you drive a snowcat? how is your skiing?

you may find that moving up in category, or by riding SS, you won't need or want a scond race as much as you think right now. i think back to back cx races is insane...

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

I raced SS one season. more accurately, one race. I was the only woman and we raced with the Bs. I think Rich Maile lapped me at least two times.

oh, and I raced the women's race first.

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

deported?

Nooooooo.


we'll find you somebody to marry instead.

X Bunny said...

does your house have poo all over it?

no? then don't complain about its lack of charm to me

--

and you are not a C

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

xbun is being viscious.

first making fun of when i was delerious....now this.

there is not poo all over the house.

it is confined to no more than two bathrooms....

russellp said...

dp: old house. I move, end of next week, to old apartment.

pab: I could probably learn to drive a snowcat, but I don't think they sponsor foreigners for that. And if I don't think about the double-CX, hopefully it won't hurt too much until it's too late.

vg: I don't think they'll let me in the women's race, though it might help with oV's suggestion

oV: you sly dog

pab and xb: it's probably for the best that you blog from different rooms

and I wouldn't expect guests to invite themselves over for the time being