Monday, August 13, 2007

Confessions of gargantuan geekdom

I played Dungeons and Dragons as a youth.

When my parents moved, the box of D&D books was uncovered in the bottom of my closet, after all these years. I think...there were moments of weakness as I considered whether or not I might want to try playing again, after all these years.

I remember the rules, I remember the dice, I remember how much damage a long sword does, I remember that extra-healing potions were ounce-for-ounce a better deal than regular healing potions. Gold pieces, gnomes, efreeti, search for traps, fireball (level 3 magic-user spell), save against dragon breath...but I never got to fight a beholder.

Thirty pounds of books.

Unsurprisingly enough, there is an online community of enthusiasts who propagate the original ("1st edition") AD&D rules from the mid-'80s (the publishers are now on edition 3.5, which only used 20-sided dice; no more d4, d6, d8, d10, or d12, let alone figuring out what to roll for "45-75"). A quick forum post, and within 24 hours people from all across the land descended like cyberwolves to tear the collection apart. It all got mailed away today, to Iowa, Michigan, Texas, Pennsylvania, and New York.

Movin' on...

9 comments:

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

i would have totally taken any 12-sided you wanted to get rid of.

ah well.


i think Jeffe, the Bun, and i will need to introduce you to Magic.

it's worth a weekend geekout.


and the color change is good. usability 101.

X Bunny said...

i just sent all my ad&d books to my sister who is teaching her kids to play (ages 6,9,9)

but i have all my dice and am ready to play any game that has a geek factor over 65

X Bunny said...

and we have to trade off who shuffles for dimple for a while still

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

magic.......be still my heart.

Steve Griffiths said...

Holy crap! Did you make a lot of money? I think I have some manuals lying around too... now where did I last see those?

russellp said...

oV, pab, xb: Magic...The closest I've come was playing Yu-Gi-Oh with a 7-yr-old, who promptly kicked my ass. Mind you, we were playing by his rules.

And I only have one d12 left. I'm keeping it.

Uh...dimple?

KirkPatMac: I made nothing. Everything is available on ebay, the hardcovers often for <$5, and you can only ask for more if they're in mint condition. I didn't have the mc2 to make any money and so just asked the wolves to pay for shipping.

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

yes, dimple.

you wanna make something of it?

do you know YOUR hobbit name?

try "Hob Loamsdown of Great Smials"

check out the Bella blog comments on 7/27

russellp said...

Ohhhh, now I see: Dimple, as in Mr. Dimple, Sir...Sorry, I thought "dimple" was like the dealer or banker or something.

I'm glad Melville didn't start Moby Dick with "Call me Hob."

//H

dt said...

Rumour has it Melville's first draft started with "You will not fucking *believe* what just happened to me" but that got axed by an egregiously prim editor.

Somewhere on my shelves I have the basic D&D manual -- the pale blue one with the dragon on front cover. There were no Beholders or druids or fancy resurrection spells there, oh no. I don't even think the basic game used swords. We had sharp sticks and slings made of our own undergarments and we LIKED it.