Tuesday, October 16, 2007

For whom the charming start-up chime tolls

It was only a matter of time.

I decided to get a new digital camera after having fun playing with Morgan and Lauren's point-and-shoot a couple weeks ago and having less success with my own camera this weekend. Over the summer, too, my camera was having trouble keeping up sometimes during the road trip. Darn it if the 7 MP camera didn't cost half as much as my 2 MP camera did 5 years ago.

The power of having a 7 MP camera though is going to start straining the limits of my home computer: a Mac laptop, from 2000.

The screen still works, if perhaps a bit dim; it browses the web just fine, if perhaps Youtube clips run a bit ragged; its 384MB of RAM are enough, if asking for a bit of patience; but lest I forget, it was the vehicle for my graduate thesis. The hard drive is a once-massive 12GB, now half-full with system software alone, and the size of the camera's memory card will exceed the available space on my computer.

The final nail in the laptop's coffin was today's spam from Apple announcing the imminent arrival of the new version of OS X.

Finally, Apple has decided to discontinue making new versions of OS X compatible with my G3 processor. I'm running version 10.4.10 now, and it's the end of the road.

Hmm, so if it's time for a new computer, how about a few reality checks: do I need a laptop, or do I just like something that doesn't take up much room? Is it my work computer and/or my home computer? Do I pay retail for a Mac or get a work-discounted PC? Does it come with luxurious burled wood trim?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I heart my intel macbook pro!

dp said...

You buy a laptop.
It is your home computer.
You get an Apple.

Easy as pie.

russellp said...

Note to self: do not buy until OS X 10.5 is shipping, Oct. 25 (26?).

morgan: Apple loves your copy, write more

dp: I'm actually leaning towards a 24" iMac. When was the last time my laptop went anywhere? A 24" screen can also replace the TV/DVD if I get an EyeTV.

Mmmm, pie...

dt said...

Not all pie is created equal. ("ARE" created? Beats me.) Still, a bad pie is better than a good day at the office, or something like that.

Let me give your lean a push, russellp. I think the big shiny iMac would be more useful to you than a laptop. dp's laptop is reliably in her lap, regardless of her lap's location or trajectory. If your current laptop spends most of its time on a desk, go for the iMac.

dp said...

It's true about my laptop and my lap. What are you doing with your old laptop? My mother's G3 iBook (which was dt's and then mine) has just given up the ghost and she is on the lookout for another that will 1) browse the web and 2) allow her to play Bridge Baron. Let me know if it's looking for a new home.