Tuesday, October 23, 2007

'Cross shorts

i. Kudos to VeloNews, part one

Full article coverage of the Canadian 'Cross Championships. Aussie-o-philic cyclingnews only came up with a type sheet of results.

ii. About those championships

Not only did someone find a way to beat Lyne Bessette, but two people beat her! If it was Wendy Simms (the champ) and Alison Sydor, though, is it really that shocking? In the men's race, the winner was Max Harrigan (haven't met him, sorry) over last year's champ, Greg Reain. Both elite titles came down to 1 second gaps, it would've been a sight to see.

iii. Kudos to Velonews, part two:

Anecdotal coverage of this past weekend's Granogue race:

With three laps to go, Wicks tried to bunny-hop the barriers, something that nobody could remember having been attempted since they were placed in their current position three or four years ago. He cleared the first barrier, which brought gasps from the crowd. Then he rode into the second barrier like Wiley E. Coyote crashing into a canyon wall while chasing the Roadrunner, stunning the crowd into silence. Standing astride his bike at a standstill, Wicks looked up to find the Cyclocrossfiles.com video camera happily recording the whole incident. Wicks laughed, then got back to racing as though nothing unusual had occurred.

I'd like to think he would've had a good laugh even without the camera there. Sadly, Cyclocrossfiles.com isn't a real website (yet?), so who knows where the footage may be. This little report did make me feel better about my own follies at Sunday's races.

iv. About those Sunday races

During the single-speed race, I managed to rip my left brake lever loose--geez, I musta been torquing it to get up those hills. Let's see how I do on retaping...

v. Found while bloghopping

Everything I know about cyclocross I learned from Clark Natwick and Dave Carr. Though I guess OV has chastised me into attaching my race number in such a way that it doesn't act like a drag chute. Anyway, to complete a trinity of 'cross resources, maybe I could get Simon Burney's book--but why do that, if he has his own blog?

1 comment:

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

Burney has a blog -- wow! The masthead looks like fecal matter.