Friday, October 19, 2007

Canuck 'Cross Championships - Saturday and Sunday

Um, no, I'm not getting a callup.

They're taking place in BC for the second year in a row: last year, they were within spitting distance of my relatives on Vancouver Island and included mud and a river crossing; this year, they're in the interior semi-desert near Kamloops, BC. You're forgiven if you don't know where Kamloops is, but it's only 1-1.5 hrs drive from where I grew up.


Defending champions are Gregg Reain, who's racing mostly in Europe but recently came back across the water w/ Vervecken to race in New York, and Lyne Bessette, one of the two North American cyclocross dominatrices along with Katie Compton. Both GR and LB had stiff competition last year though, with Geoff Kabush and Wendy Simms close on their heels. It'll remain to be seen who comes to Kamloops or spend time chasing UCI points elsewhere...


And as usual, I will spend Sunday trying mostly to not fall down.

Edit: Trying to not fall down at the Pilarcitos race at Candlestick. It'd be nice to go back to Canada for a race, maybe I will someday, but for now I'm still a racing chump.

4 comments:

dblrider said...

That is a sweet lookin' course. I can't wait to see the pics and hear the stories. Have a freakin' great time and good luck!

Ken

~ lauren said...

wait, you're going up to BC to race on sunday?

or are you talking about not falling down at pilarcitos on sunday.

i'm confused.

russellp said...

Whoops--a little ambiguous, so I'll do a little editing. It'd be nice to be going to nationals, but I'll just be doing Pilarcitos here in California and thinking of BC/Canada.

The thing about not falling down is still true.

russellp said...

Darn it, I'm feeling awfully flatttered that someone would think I should be going to a national championship.