Saturday, October 13, 2007

CCCX #3

The rains of Friday had me wondering what the conditions would be like in Seaside/Marina for CCCX #3. That, combined with anticipation of doing both the B's and a singlespeed race, had me loading the car with enough gear for an Antarctic crossing. The weather turned out beautiful and I only did the B race...but it never hurts to be reminded of how much bike stuff I already own.

I woke up late and cranky and only got to the course with enough time to do a half-practice lap. There could've been more time, but with the start and finish separated by 5 minutes' riding, it was hard to tell. The course was mostly (a) long road sections, with a good bit of uphill to make lungs burn, and (b) tacky singletrack through the chaparral. A couple of runs, one with barriers, one because of the loose sand--I didn't know the right-hand line people were riding to get around it, so just loped through as best I could. Also, a set of barriers on a slight downhill that you could carry crazy speed into--fast-twitch muscles required to take those at full speed!

The singletrack was fun and seemingly innocuous in practice, and finally provided some of the "soft, loamy ground" I was pining for last week. At race speed, though, cornering became a whole new game. First lap, I lost the line on a zig, then lost it completely on the next zag, and came to a complete halt to safely extract myself from a bush as most of the field passed me by (again!). On the bright side, that's the closest I came to crashing today--no lost skin!

On lap 3, Hernando watching from the sidelines noticed that I had picked up nicely, so I had probably done enough to warm up by then, and there was a group of 3-4 I was trying to keep with. I blew soon after, though--not good in what was a 7?-lap race. I ended up 16/22, and I know I was behind several guys I beat last week.

In the aftermath, I felt spent. Both that and the result are signs of dwindling fitness on my part. I need to remember that for three months, I'm a cyclist who happens to have a day job, and should train appropriately! It took doing the singlespeed race out of my plan, so I hung out, played retriever for Hernando as he did hand-ups for the women's race (a good battle), tried and failed to get some decent race photos, and enjoyed the fine weather.

4 comments:

dt said...

Sounds like a good day all told. Thanks for the telling.

X Bunny said...

i didn't realize you were helping with our feeds

or i woulda thanked you earlier!!

Anonymous said...

have I ever mentioned it would have been pretty cool if you were into bikes say.... 15 years ago?

russellp said...

dt: I hope that provided a little bit of escapist relief.

xb: Master of Hand-ups will teach Grasshopper well. There is much to learn...

jake: we probably could've got into a lot of trouble...I'm trying to imagine: I probably would've needed a regular job after school to pay for bike gear. Sound familiar?