Tuesday, April 10, 2007

It's not quite a race report

...but as a sat in the chair this morning, I did reflect on how a visit to the dentist is similar to a bike race: the end result cannot be improved by anything you do the day before (though it can be worsened). No, the end result in either case reflects weeks, if not months, of careful preparation. I brush, I floss, I ride bikes. Though I doubt there's a cross-training benefit.

I started fine, hung on during the ultrasonic water-picking and polishing, a bit uncomfortable with the flossing (tight contacts), came back strong with healthy gums, flew by not needing fluoride treatment, and was ready to come storming through in the end--but couldn't get a clean finish due to equipment failure--an iffy cusp on a back molar. Have to go back for a fix, darn it.

7 comments:

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

we laughed at this something hearty last nite before sleep.


still chuckling this morning.

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

i'm not laughing.

i mean, i like the analogy. very clever.

but it just reminds me that i am way overdo to go to the dentist.

it is going to be like getting dropped, flatting, and then crashing into a field of rotten....teeth.

X Bunny said...

i finally found a dental hygienist who doesn't make me feel like i'm in the principal's office

not that i have any idea what it feels like to be in the principal's office

~ lauren said...

oooh, that's a really good analogy.

i used to hate the dentist. they were all sort of like how x-bun describes.

then i found one who likes to flirt.

he's nice, never says anything bad about my teeth, just fixes away, all the while flirting and telling me little jokes and making fun.

now i love going, even if it hurts.

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

flirting should always hurt

a little bit.

russellp said...

oV: mission accomplished

pabcid: ya gotta do it, man up

xb: thou dost protest too strongly...oh so innocent

l: flirty? I don't have flirty, but I do have chatty, and they must take notes 'cuz they remembered that I'm Canadian, bike a lot, where I work, etc. after six months

oV2: just keep those hands to yourself

X Bunny said...

brave pabcid plans to schedule for october

and he spent lots of time in the principal's office