Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Yes, dear, there is a cycling comfort zone

...aka Thoughts While Returning Home By Bike, June 6, 2007:

...I'll have to purify that tomorrow morning, and set up those two reactions so I can couple them onto monomers to include in the paper (editor's note: workspeak)...

hm, car just pulled into left-hand turn lane of the slow traffic light

if I hurry I can follow it and not have to blow through the red arrow/solid green like I usually do

it's a little far

maybe this is a chance to practice "sprinting", I could stand on the pedals and fly, yeah, I should hurry, don't want to miss the light

here goes

I said, here goes

ohmygod that's it how pathetic

I guess I'm going faster

oh, the light still hasn't changed

slowing down

dawdle, dawdle, dawdle

that's right, spin through the intersection behind the minivan like it's slow and I'm fast

minivan found the gas pedal, bye-bye

what the hell's up with the headwind? ouch...and don't tell me my legs are unhappy because of that measly little effort to get to the light

runty runner legs

oh great, oncoming traffic is already getting its advance left turn at the super-super slow traffic light

oh great, I'd better "sprint" again to reach the light

here goes

well I'm turning over faster

geez, I'm weaving like a drunk

oh look and I'm in my small chain ring

light's changed to green

and I probably should be in the drops and not hanging out on the hoods, negative style points

almost reached last bumper

I'll get through

bastard SUV trying to turn right on red had better watch it

cross traffic is getting to watch the most melodramatic awkward "sprint" ever, this is embarassing
that was ugly and yes my legs are hurting from their "efforts"

stupid runty runner legs

f$%* it, I'll spin at 10mph 'til 'cross season, then it's muddy and I'll have more excuses for being slow

And a photo for those who read this far:


7 comments:

X Bunny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
X Bunny said...

i like the pretty orange coupled monomers

~ lauren said...

did you take that photo? it's so purty! my sunflowers are just starting to bloom.

cross season is almost here, kinda.

BELLA BEAR said...

Only a scientist would be that detailed about an intersection and able to break it down that much. By the way, what was the time frame on that incident, 10 seconds, maybe 20. Bye Russell

dp said...

Thanks for the photo.

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

gey

russellp said...

L: I can take photo credit. Vernon, BC, Canada, August 2003, digital point-and-shoot. I like the pics with the bees on the flowers.

bb: 10-20 sec of leglessness is all I had to write about right then.

dp: the photo was the least I could do after providing the drivel above.

oV: hey kettle...