Monday, June 4, 2007

Planning on traveling

On July 8th, I need to be in Calgary, Alberta. (Canada.)

At least, that's where the planning started. But if I'm going all that way, it'd make sense to visit the parents in Vernon, BC. And the friends in Vancouver. Heck, some folks in Seattle. It's a list of destinations that does not lend itself to a bunch of airline flights.

And so: a road trip.


Los Gatos to Calgary is estimated at 1600 miles by online directions: 32 hrs driving, 64 gallons of gas, that's about $250 at California prices, each way. (Great timing Russell: why not a road trip when gas was $1.10/gal? Oh right, I didn't have a car.) It's still cheaper than flying. Hm, maybe not if I include food and lodging...Aw, screw it, I'm going.

C'mon, it's the Great American West: California, Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana, a jaunt northwards into the Great White North, then Washington and Oregon on the way back. Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks, Banff and Jasper, Crater Lake, the NorNorCal coastline...I will be meandering as much as possible. I may even drive up Hwy 4 (officially one of National Geographic's Scenic American Highways and Byways). If anyone has any ideas on an interesting way to drive across northern Nevada, in early July, I'm all ears.

There will be a bike in the car.

Minor technical difficulties: I should still be in the Bay Area on June 30th. Up to Calgary by the 8th, and back...and technically I now belong to that portion of the population with 12 days' holiday per year, though I have yet to figure out if those days ever actually get recorder/reported. Hmmm. Guess I'll find out...when I get back.

Lend me your travel tips! Navigating Yellowstone could be particularly challenging due to summer rush. Prep will include: taking car to garage, possibly getting AAA, buying a tent. Have maps. Need CD wallet (a big one).

5 comments:

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

two words -- bike touring! ditch the car and ride there.

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

hwy 4? then you better include a visit here on your itinerary...

at least stop by for a ride and a beer....

Grey said...

if you have any doubts about the vehicle AAA+ is a good idea. the list of free or cheap services is pretty good.

the canadian rockies are really nice...that lake that's light blue because of sediment in it...very pretty.

sounds like a beautiful bit of land to explore.

~ lauren said...

oooh, that'll be fun.

i love road trips. and your route looks great.

russellp said...

vg: Not this time, (a) I can't ride that fast and (b) there's boxes to be hauled back from the parents. But someday, I will bike tour...

pab: Ride and a beer sounds great! I hope a drivethrough will fit in with your and xbunny's racing schedule (Leesville? Vacaville?).

g: The car feels solid, but AAA is looking good. Especially if I take on Hwy 50 through Nevada ("America's Loneliest Highway"...).

L: it does look fun, doesn't it? Good to hear.