Friday, June 8, 2007

The Rice

I wrote not so long ago about sleeping and not knowing how to fall asleep and the danger of having too much sugar before bed (causing me to be hyperactive 'til 4am or so--and not sleeping). Now, I love my carbs. Atkins can go spank himself far as I'm concerned. But...

I had noticed that I tended to be restless on nights when I had had a rice dish for dinner. After spending a year in Thailand as an exchange student, I love me some genuine Thai jasmine rice. It's genuinely aromatic, and it's fluffy, and it's tasty...good stuff. If you haven't had it (and it's not just that nasty long-grain rice from Texas, it's specifically "jasmine rice"--Trader Joe's has it), treat yourself.


I looked online to see if there was any info about rice and glycemic index, which is more usually important to diabetics, but I'm probably on my way to Type II anyway and it seemed like a relatively small thing to check for possibly improved sleep. This page soon appeared and I started scrolling down...For reference, the glycemic index roughly measures how hard food is going to hit your blood sugar level relative to glucose, the most common naturally occuring sugar and energy source, which is given a rating of 100. Cashew nuts? 22. A Mars Bar? 68. Skim milk 32, ice cream 61, Coca-cola 63,...

There are many kinds of rice and many ways to eat it (on the webpage given, it starts at food #272), and I'm reading through, and most kinds of rice are in the GI 40-70 range, so yeah, they're gonna cause a spike. But I keep scrolling until I see item #288:

Jasmine rice, white long grain, cooked in rice cooker

GI: 109

Ouch. That's worse than table sugar (#589, GI 60-65) or a doughnut (#12, GI 76).


Ah well, there's always basmati (#297, GI 58)...

7 comments:

dt said...

Wow. So you'd be further ahead downing a can and a half of caffeine-free coke just before bed than a bowl of jasmine rice? I'll file that under "news, unexpected."

~ lauren said...

good lord! who woulda thunk.

dp said...

Sushi?

russellp said...

Mmmm, sushi...I'd expect that raw fish and seaweed have low GI's, making up for the rice. I'm all for it.

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

i like rice.

a lot.

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

rice is nice.

maybe the solution is to eat dinner earlier?

Grey said...

I'm surprised that this many people (and I'm assuming they're athletic, and thus presumably concerned about nutrition) are surprised by this. C'mon kids: white rice, white flour=processed=no more nutritional value, relatively speaking.

It takes longer to cook, but I'd also suggest something like Japonica rice, or the really brown rice...name escapes me right now.