Sunday, September 21, 2008

That's not supposed to happen


It's a bad thing when your chainring bolts get loose at any time, let alone in the middle of a cyclocross race. It made for some good spectating and a pseudo-heroic finish, I hope.

CCCX #1 was held at the Fort Ord DOD building, a roughly counter-clockwise loop of the roads and sandy singletrack. My B race at 10am went OK, but the field was clearly much stronger than the LAPRD field. The CCCX course was also hillier than LAPRD's, so I got to say hello to my back muscles for the first time this year...Got 11th out of 18-19, and frustrated that I couldn't figure out how to ride up the sandy climb.

After two hours, lunch, and some advice from Josh Snead on how to ride the sandy climb, I lined up for the singlespeed A race. I had a reasonable start, but spun out/slowed down before the first corner and that was the last I saw of most everyone else in the field. It gave me time to think more about lines through the loose stuff (having my speed governed by the fixed gear ratio probably helped too).

Last corner, just after getting lapped by J.S., I hopped back on after the last barriers, pushed on the pedal, and rather than moving forward, I bent the bejeezus out of my chainring (see pic above). Since it was the last corner, I picked up the bike to jog over the finish line, no effect on final results. I had heard suspicious pinging noises from my drivetrain somewhere and thought I might've broken a spoke, but it seems to have been a chainring bolt or bolts coming loose. I lost two of five in the end. Yes, I feel a fool, but let my story be the cautionary tale: when's the last time you checked if your chainring bolts were tight?

Thanks to Gannon M. for advice on tire inflation, J.S. on the riding advice (worked a charm), the SS field for the commiserations/mocking, and Rod for not making me do another lap post-Chainring Incident. We'll see if I "man up" to a 42t or replace my girly-man 38t...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't forget to thank us hecklers! You might not have ridden the sandy hill without us egging you on!

--Aaron and Natasha

Ippoc Amic said...

yikes. I've wondered about that on my track bike so I am always listening for "odd" sounds. Glad you didn't crash or anything.

russellp said...

aah: Of course, the hecklers! I remembered sometime after going to bed last night how good it is to have a cheer squad. Next time!

ippoc: no crash (whew), just a walk of shame back to the car after the race.

Anonymous said...

Russel, check your chainring bolts.

Glad I got that to you in time.

I might have a ramp-less 130bcd 42 if you need it.

Lauren is bummed we missed cccx. We'll be there next week, barring more real life stuff getting in the way.