Sunday, November 16, 2008

CX futility index

A measure of achievement for those not fighting for podium spots in cyclocross races:

1. For each given race in a weekend, find your finishing position (number A).

2. For each given race in a weekend, determine how many finishers there were in your category, not counting DNS/DNF (number B).

3. For each given race in a weekend, determine A/B, your race finish ratio (maximum value 1).

4. Total your race finish ratios from the weekend to determine your futility index.

Whoever has the highest total "wins". What they win, I don't know. It's not just a competition about being mediocre, it's about being mediocre over and over again. (A DNF doesn't count because it implies some recognition of futility.)

Needless to say, I don't have any wonderful race results to report from this weekend, though I feel happy to have not destroyed any equipment or suffered any injuries beyond scratches and bruises. I couldn't pull off the "double double", not having enough left to finish a singlespeed race at CCCX after racing twice at Saturday's night race, and so lost a possible full point in my futility index--I'm okay with that. Once the results are up from Pilarcitos, I'll report my numbers...

2 comments:

~ lauren said...

what about races where you're the only one in your category?

does that count for extra credit?

russellp said...

Hm, that is an interesting results sheet from CCCX, isn't it? You told everyone your plans and scared them away, obviously.

Being the only person in a race definitely smacks of futility. The formula gives you a perfect 1.0; reward enough?

My tally for the weekend: 2.50. I coulda broken 3 if I'd done the SS race at CCCX.