Monday, March 31, 2008

Run Russell Run


It's been a long, lazy winter. And now the folks at work have signed us up to do the Big Sur Marathon as a relay. Gotta represent...


Then a week later, I get invited to rejoin last year's Wildflower triathlon relay team as the runner. OK, we won last year, but that was mostly due to the monster swimmer and ringer cyclist; I hung on enough to not lose the lead.


I've tried Tilden and Redwood parks in the East Bay hills for runs so far, and Redwood so far is hands down the winner--the Stream Trail is the closest thing to Huddart Park (a little slice of heaven in Woodside) I've been through in a long time. Tilden is a bit strange: it's back-to-nature vibe is definitely spoiled by the view of people's houses on the ridgelines, which gave me the feeling that I was running through their backyard.

Still, that's two runs in the past week, and I felt the first one in my legs for the following four days. Bike commuting will help to flush out a little lactate, but I've gotta be doing those little bread-'n'-butter runs during the week as well. Lift those heels!

5 comments:

marscat said...

have you tried the east ridge west ridge loop...that's very nice. it's quiet the further you go out, and parts are pretty steep. it's one of my favorite places to jog

russellp said...

kazilar: bugger off

marscat: East Ridge-West Ridge loop, isn't that the bike loop too? If so, I hope to get there, but the 8 miles would do me in at this stage. Someday...

~ lauren said...

bayview sequoia is nice too. in joaquin miller.

i think it's about 2 miles long then turn around and about 2 miles back. flat and pretty.

i'm doing the swim part of the relay at wildflower. should be interesting.

i'll see you there.

russellp said...

Hey lauren: I checked the map of Joaquin Miller online--I'm guessing that the trailhead is on Skyline just off Joaquin Miller Road? Looks nice!

Swimming?! Heavens, you're afflicted with 2/3rds of triathletism already. Are you doing Long Course or Olympic at Wildflower? Just the Olympic relay for me (phew).

X Bunny said...

s-t-r-e-t-c-h!