Friday, February 15, 2008

There and back again - once

I gritted my teeth this morning and set off for the first of what be a few dozen commutes up I-880 this morning.

Departure time: 8.22 am.
Distance: 55 miles
Time to destination: 1h15m

Hm. Not bad. After a few hours at work figuring out things like health insurance and where the washroom is, I set out in the evening to fight my way back home through traffic.

Departure time: 6.52 pm
Distance: 55 miles
Time to destination: 1h00m

Odd how a person can feel elated that their commute was only 1 hour long.

4 comments:

dp said...

It would go faster with a cat in your lap.

Unknown said...

that's bout as long as my commute over the hill.

glad you're back...an racing planned this season?

dt said...

talking books, i say.

russellp said...

dp: I've seen people eating, talking on cell phones, reading newspapers, but have never picked out a lapcat on the freeway. Maybe I could be the first?

mm: if "over the hill" means Hwy 17, then my sympathies. I haven't picked out an event schedule yet--running, triathlon, and cycling could all compete for my attentions before 'cross season returns--but it'll probably be affected by new job + moving.

dt: I think I'll be able to stand a few days of FM radio, but yeah, I'll have to take control of my listening content soon.