Thursday, May 17, 2007

Where was I

Visited friends in Cambridge/Boston, MA, last weekend.

Sea breezes and seafood.

Natural history and American history.

Fine arts and performing arts.

Not bad for three days. To add to the fun, (a) flying on a red-eye over Friday night didn't kill me and I was fine Saturday ('cept maybe an hour's nap in the afternoon) and (b) the weather in Boston was nicer than the weather here in the Bay Area. Go figure, I've got great timing.

And lest I forget, Massachusetts is where Slow the Bike truly belongs. Cambridge is the mother ship of old bikes, I swear.

Odd coincidence: the person sitting beside me on the red-eye was flying back to Boston from Vancouver. Turns out she's doing regulatory work for Genzyme as it took over a smaller pharma company near Vancouver called Anormed, where a friend of mine was working as a chemist. Hadn't heard from that friend recently; could be because all of the Anormed chemists were immediately sacked. As many people do, I ran around the Charles River basin while in Boston (the river is more famous for the rowing races that take place on it), and ran right past Genzyme's corporate headquarters. There are big fish and little fish, and Genzyme seems to be a big fish. Bye-bye, Anormed.

1 comment:

dp said...

Another chemist friend of mine who worked there recently announced a move from Vancouver to Kelowna -- I hadn't put two and two together until now (and I'm good at math!).